I am getting ready to move over to a new laptop, so I think that now is a good time to record (both for myself and for anyone else who may find this useful) the list of all the different programs and utilities that I have installed on my computer that I find useful (or necessary) enough to reinstall on the new box.
Coding & General Dev
- Visual Studio 2003, 2005, 2008 – All .net development (I know that 2008 can code for 2005 projects – however, I need to be able to work on 2005 projects that other coworkers are working on, where they do not have 2008 yet installed and the project file is still in 2005 format).
- Visual Assist X – Helps me use VS more efficiently.
- CodeSmith – Code Generation
- IISAdmin.net – Host multiple IIS sites on my box
- Astrum InstallWizard – Installer packager I use for a WinForms project
- DotFuscator Professional – Code Obfuscation
- ApexSQL Diff – Diffs and updates for SQL Servers
- WMI Code Creator – Generate code to query computer info
- Sql Server – I had had 2005, I think I will also install 2008 going forward. Don’t forget Reporting Services and SSIS (I will try to go with both side-by-side because I still may need to work on 2005-based reports and SSIS jobs going forward. 2008 will be the instance that I have running locally, though).
- VistaDB – Great embedded DB that I use for a Windows Forms app that I work on.
- Controls – Various controls packages that I use for ASP.net & WinForms dev work
- Paint.net – Great simple, free graphics tool
- Gimp – Great complicated, free graphics tool
- Picasa – Photo management
- Flickr Uploader – Get the photos online
- Audacity – Audio processing
- AndreaMosaic – Create cool photo mosaics
- VLC Media Player
- Firefox 3.x – Everyday browser. Don’t forget the following AddIns:
- Google Talk Client – IM and Chat
- Skype – VOIP
- Putty – For the occassional Telnet session
- twhirl – For when I get in the mode to Tweet
- Windows Live Writer – Blogging from the desktop
Utilities & Misc Apps
- MS Office 2007
- SysInternals – All the included utilities, especially Process Explorer and AutoRuns
- Notepad2 – Must-have
- SVN, AnkhSVN, TortoiseSVN – Local Source Control
- SnagIt – Best screen capture tool
- BareGrep – Good, free, fast grep tool for Windows
- TaskSwitchXP Pro – Improved Alt-Tab behavior.
- AllSnap – Makes it easier to line up windows next to each other
- Virtual CD Control Panel for XP – Mount iso images as virtual drives
- Hex Editor – Sometimes necessary
- WinMerge – Good, free Diff/Merge tool
- Fiddler HTTP Debugger
- KeePass Password Safe – Password encryption and storage
- VMWare – Player and Infrastructure Client
- ALZip – Zip utility
- Google Earth
- VSS 6.0 Client – Unfortunately
Am I missing anything?